Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

As time goes by.......


The world of rescue doesn't always involve seizing horses, getting on the news, cruelty cases, etc. While all of that is a big part of it, most days are spent caring for the horses. It is not all glitz and glammor to shovel manure and clean water tubs on a daily basis. That is where the volunteers play a major role in the success of a rescue.



Lately, I had to really ask for people to come forward and help because things had gotten in a lull and it seemed that most people had gotten involved with their everyday life; leaving me mostly alone to do it all. I get worried when that happens. My mind starts working overtime. I wonder what will happen to the rescue horses if PER fails? Where is everyone? Do they just not care anymore? Everyone wants us to rescue horses, but what about making sure they have adequate care now that they are not a story on the local news. People can forget that the horses are still here. They are still relying on us, not to rescue them, but to meet their daily needs. Feeding, cleaning stalls, watering, grooming, training, vet care; the list is long, but this is the reality of horse rescue.



When I asked for volunteers a month ago, I got a pretty good response. I understand that people come and go for different reasons, but for now, things are pretty good. I'm sure that in the future, I'll have to send out another SOS when necessary. Hopefully, people will understand and come forward to help if their circumstances will allow it. Until then, we'll be grateful for the help we've got. I just want to say once again, "Thank You, Volunteers". You play an integral role in the big picture of rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment